Carl Jocumsen: War on Lake Champlain


I have three Bassmaster Opens left in my attempt to be the first Australian to qualify for the Bassmaster Elite Series. 

As I made my way to the famous Lake Champlain I was super excited, and I also contemplated this biggest 6 week tournament road trip of my life. What I didn’t know was I heading towards a war zone.

I drove all of that day and eighteen hours of the next with only a short sleep just outside of Indianapolis. This got us to Ticonderoga New York, on the south end of Lake Champlain, at around 1.00am.

I have never been more prepared in my life leading into a tournament. I had worked hard on the physical, mental and the pre-study side of this sport. I couldn’t have done any more and I felt great.

I put in five big days of practice with 4.00am starts every morning. I fished from as far in the north as Missisquoi Bay to Ticonderoga in the south. Theyre a distance of over 100 miles apart, and then theres everything in between. 8pm was the earliest I loaded my Skeeter on the trailer.

Some mornings started with huge thunder storms rolling through, and myself and travel partner Gene Eisenmann would be the only ones sitting at the ramp waiting for enough light to launch. Those were some of the days we found where the big ones were hiding. I got my best bites in the rain and had put together my best tournament plan yet.

I had found great Largemouth up north and huge Smallmouth in the main lake, but my heart was set on making the 70 mile run south to Ticonderoga. This is where I felt it could be won, and on top of that I had back up plans of untouched Smallmouth on the way home. I felt I was ready for what ever was thrown at me come tournament day.

I was wrong.

Wednesday night before the tournament I drew number 98, about mid pack and just what i wanted. The weather looked stable with a small chance of storms in the late afternoon. Everything was lining up. I felt like this tournament was mine to lose.

Tournament morning approaches and the alarm blares at 3.15am. This is where I believe the physical side Ive been working on has been a huge benefit to me. After five 15hr days on the water, averaging less than 5 hours sleep a night and enduring every type of weather condition possible, I was still feeling great and ready to get after them. One hundred percent focused.

Blast off is one of my favorite parts of a tournament. As I’m doing 70mph in my Skeeter on slick calm conditions, everything just hits me. Again Im reminded of how lucky I am to be doing this… Where I am right now, where Ive come from, and what Im about to do that day. Its awesome.

I make it down to Ticonderoga after an hour run and I start to fish my best stuff but quickly realize that the water level has dropped. I know this is not good because all my big fish had come from less than a foot of water! I try to make adjustments all day and find myself with one Bass at 12.00 o’clock – and I have to be back at 3.15.

I run into a Marina to fuel up at Buoy 39, and what a very cool experience – as close to Nascar pit lane as you can get! Three people standing on the dock pull my boat in and ask How much?” I say $50, they yell Fifty dollars!” to the man up the dock at the pump. They fill my boat and I was gone and back fishing in less than 2 minutes, it was incredible.

I had hit every spot I thought I could catch them at except for one, which I now ran to. I started to hear the rumble of a huge storm emerging over the hills and then I see boat after boat making the run back. I get a sick pain in my stomach that I knew wasn’t good, I should be running with them. It was then and there I had to make a decision.

I checked the radar and the storm looked nasty but short lived, it should pass in under a hour. The wind started to pick up and we could see lighting heading towards us. I decided to stay, wait it out, and hope there was a calm after the storm for the run back.

As the storm approached the Bass started to bite, I had finally relocated them on the deeper grass edge and they were coming up and smashing my popping frog. I had 4 Bass and then the storm hit.

Horizontal rain pounded us as huge cracks of lightning hit the hills, just far enough way that I felt kind of safe. Any closer and we might have ran for shelter. Hail started to hit us and covered the boat with ice, it was so loud I couldn’t hear myself think. I found myself casting my frog out and fishing it like there wasn’t a problem, focused on each cast hoping for a blow up, then I thought to myself This is crazy!

As I was working my frog back, boom, a big blow up and I hook my largest Bass, and its storming so hard my co angler cant hear my yelling for the net! The storm passes and I upgrade a few more times for a small limit and just like Id hoped, there was a calm after the storm.

It was 1.00pm and my chance to make the run back and hit my Smallmouth spot on the way home, in the hope to salvage the day. We run out of Ticonderoga, its slick calm and I say to my Co Its on, don’t worry we are going to smoke the Smallmouth when we get there!I was super pumped.

Five minutes later I was just hoping to get home safely.

When we turned into the main body of water it was like nothing Id ever seen in my life. It was like an out of control ocean pumping huge waves directly down the lake. I tried to tack from one side to the other but that was useless. I felt like a small bobber in the middle of the ocean. Although my Skeeter FX is amazing this was no place for a bass boat.

I knew we had 50 miles of this and we had already speared 10 waves, more than I have over my entire fishing career. It turned from this is crazyto this is scary, real quick. We filled the entire boat with water a few times and I have never speared a wave while heading up the front side of it. There was no escaping it and we had to constantly stop, check on our fish and wait for the water to pump out!

Almost 2 hours later I was completely exhausted, we were close to my check in time and I was pushing hard. I saw a boat over to my right and was sure that they were sinking. I made a hard turn and worked my way over to them. They had two bilge pumps going and were bucketing water from the back of the boat. They said they kept filling with water and were worried they would sink.

I told them to jump in my boat, but the pro said there was no way hed leave his boat behind and they yelled to just get back safe myself. It was an everyman for himself kind of situation. Their motor was running and they both had life jackets so I knew they would be ok.

I made it back with 15 minutes to go. My Co angler looked at me like I was crazy when I swung into the last island before check in and started fishing, hoping for a miracle.

We made it back safe although I felt exhausted, disappointed and shattered. That day just cost me making the Elites through the Northerns. I weighed in only 12 pounds but I was happy to see the guys that were bailing their boat also back safely, and was grateful my Skeeter stood up to some of the worst conditions possible and got us back in one piece, and with nothing broken.

What Ever It Takes

Carl Jocusmen

The boat yard where all the marine and boat mechanics work looked like a war zone. There were boats driving around with no cowlings on their motors and trolling motors torn from bows of boats. Champlain had brought war upon the anglers.

The next morning my attitude was to get back at that first day. I sat in 98th position, I might have been knocked down but I wasn’t going to stay down. Tournament directer Chris Bowes and his staff do an impeccable job of getting almost 200 boats out fast each day and weighing in almost 400 bags of Bass. The next morning Chris read out the boat numbers like this Boat 1 Boat 2 Boat 3 scratched; Boat 4 scratchedBoat 17 scratched, boat 18 scratched…” You get the picture. Boats and people had been beat up so bad they weren’t even able to fish the next day.

I ran to my north area, a small creek in Missisquoi Bay. They were still there and I had one of the greatest tournament days I can remember! I caught over 50 Bass on frogs and flipping grass, it was insane. I was hoping to make a jump into check range and save this tournament. I weighed in 15-14 which jumped me 40 places and put me in 38th for AOY with Lake St Clair to go.

One thing for sure in fishing is nothing is Guaranteed. If I could win St Clair you never know what could happen. I have to keep a positive mind and do everything I know to try and make it happen. I wont be backing off.

I have to take Lake Champlain as another life experience, and the tuition I need to go through to learn the things Im yet to learn here in the USA. I know if I dont give up and keep putting the work in, it will eventually give and my day will come.



Like seat belts in cars, PFDs save lives. If you are on the water – please wear your personal floatation device.



Hobie stocks a huge range of PFD’s for all types of watersports. With a wide range suitable for adults, kids, and even the family dog, Hobie PFD's will have you safe on the water.

Hobie Rock Fishing Series

The Hobie Rock Fishing Series of PFD’s come in a range of models and sizes to suit your budget. All have been rigorously tested and certified to the Australian AS4578 standard.

Tell Me More